Skip to main content

All In Good Time

Where does my help come from...and when will it get here?!

I have a fairly predictable struggle in my faith walk when it comes down to the timing I would prefer versus the timing of God. Mostly this revolves around my own comfort and desires but there have been occasions when God's timing has cause me deep pain and sadness.

Still, I trust Him.

In the those times of real struggle I place my hope in what Jesus has already accomplished, and then cast my gaze to what the Bible reveals of the final victory. The greatest resource for my peace is not found in a distraction or a pleasant feeling but in the reality of Christ's death and resurrection. Knowing God was able to bring about the salvation of all in that way, I renew my faith in that great and glorious day yet to come. Sure, my anticipation grows with every look ahead but my temporal peace also increases even in the midst of calamity.

Still, I trust Him.

This statement is not a mantra or religious chat I use to calm myself in the way other belief systems operate, it is the outflow of my heart. He is trustworthy and faithful. He has proven His great love and given us a firm foundation of hope for the future. He is great, and that greatness is revealed to humankind in the fullness of time. I am so thankful He is God and I am not. If the struggles of my life are any indication, I need to know a God who is far great than I (or anyone I have ever known) is working outside of my understanding. He is both good and true.

I trust Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where does my help come from?

I have to stop to think about that. This past Sunday, Lumumba proclaimed Psalm 121 in the midst of a world in pain and a population trying to process all that has happened. On top of a pandemic, demonstrations of all kinds have erupted all over the world as the evil of racism overtook our collective focus. Where does my help come from? The psalmist admitted he had to lift his eyes to receive the answer. I can look in the mirror to review my own behavior and thoughts but for the people of God, there is no real hope without the involvement of Jesus. He is not only the author of our faith, He is the maker of Heaven and Earth! He has a depth of understanding as to what is wrong in this world that makes my attempt at contemplation seem like a newborn trying to fathom the complexity of the universe.  I keep hearing people preach about the importance of looking "deep within ourselves" and "tap into your basic human morality" but that is not what the Bible w...

Endurance and Encouragement?

 Romans 15:5-6 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,   that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The endurance of welcoming others in the midst of differing convictions can encourage the weak by walking together in full faith and the strong in demonstrating meekness. This harmony of relationship doubles as a song of praise, lifted in corporate worship. The Father is glorified in unlikely friendships, called and built together through the unique work of the Son, and operating in the unity of the Spirit. This is not possible apart from the body, the church, as it is built by God. As a light, we shoulder the responsibility of how we shine. In the darkest of times, every one of us is hoping to find the right way forward. It can be easy to blind someone with a flashlight but that only makes it difficult to see. It is better to walk togethe...