Skip to main content

In the Potter's Hand

This past Sunday I told a story about my boy having bad dreams. I said that I would talk more about how that was resolved so I wanted to take this time to write an encouragement to all of you in the church. If you remember, Cora came to tell us that her brother was crying and would we please do something about it because, she said,

"It's keeping me awake." 

We decided to bypass the lack of compassion in this very tired sister and so Mom went down to comfort the boy. As Beth went into his room, Toby was softly crying but she could see that he was shaking and covered in sweat. She brought him out of his room and held him close but he wasn't settling down. Beth tried to talk to him about the dream but he could only say that it was bad and he didn't like thinking about it. He was clenched up in her lap and he was still whimpering in a way that told Beth just how scared he was. Her response was to get him to talk. 

Beth: "Toby, tell me something that is true." 
He though for a bit but he didn't say anything.  
Beth: "Toby, does Daddy love you?" 
He quickly replied.
Toby: "Yes."
Beth: "Does Mommy love you?"
Toby: "Yes."
Beth: "Toby, are you safe?"
Toby: "Yes."

At that moment, Beth told me later, she felt his whole body soften and Toby stopped crying. Being in the potter's hand is much more than knowing that He has a plan. There are times when our senses and thoughts make us tighten up and the only thing we can see is the chaos of our immediate circumstances. In the same way, past experiences can shape us into a jagged pot that can't even function because because of the distortion caused by pain, confusion, anxiety, or anger. There are times when God will break us so He can reshape us, there are other times when He knows the best thing to do is to soften us. At those times, listen to the voice inside that says,

"My child, tell me something that is true."
If you can't think of an eternal truth then allow Him to ask.
"Does your Father love you?"
"Yes."

"God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

Allow yourself to be placed in the safety of the potter's hand. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endurance and Encouragement?

 Romans 15:5-6 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,   that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The endurance of welcoming others in the midst of differing convictions can encourage the weak by walking together in full faith and the strong in demonstrating meekness. This harmony of relationship doubles as a song of praise, lifted in corporate worship. The Father is glorified in unlikely friendships, called and built together through the unique work of the Son, and operating in the unity of the Spirit. This is not possible apart from the body, the church, as it is built by God. As a light, we shoulder the responsibility of how we shine. In the darkest of times, every one of us is hoping to find the right way forward. It can be easy to blind someone with a flashlight but that only makes it difficult to see. It is better to walk together, heading in the s

Build

One of the most humbling moments of my submitted life occurs when I approach God in prayer. I know who God is and if I pause too long I get overwhelmed by the question of why He would bend His almighty ear to my words. I know I'm not alone in this feeling. A key aspect of this difficulty is believing that I need to get my life together before I pray. God, in His holiness, surely does not want to hear from someone who is in the middle of stumbling through their circumstances, right? Not to mention the fact that God surely would be able to hear my words better if my actions weren't getting in the way. I mean, I can't come to Him about life's specks until I remove my own plank, that's for sure... or is it? When Jesus taught us how to pray He said our first two words should be, "Our Father." It is on this teaching I must build my entire understanding of prayer. Obviously, I don't have to begin every single prayer with those two words but I do have to

In the Moment

I need times of transition. This is something that I have discovered about myself and my daily life. I have a difficult time jumping from one thing to the next, especially if I have spent a significant amount of time dedicated to a single focus. To contextualize what I am talking about let me say that on any given day I come up with a new list of three things to accomplish and I add these to my "daily six list." Those six are the things that I have prayerfully decided upon in order to keep myself accountable and effective in my calling and purpose. Applying both of those lists to my routine has taken a lot of time and discipline to include as an every day reality, but to talk more about that would be a blog of a different color. I usually don't need a transition between each of those nine daily items as they are similar in focus and the mental/spiritual/emotional preparation is the same. However, when I go home I need a time of transition to adjust my focus so that I