Skip to main content

In the Moment

I need times of transition. This is something that I have discovered about myself and my daily life. I have a difficult time jumping from one thing to the next, especially if I have spent a significant amount of time dedicated to a single focus. To contextualize what I am talking about let me say that on any given day I come up with a new list of three things to accomplish and I add these to my "daily six list." Those six are the things that I have prayerfully decided upon in order to keep myself accountable and effective in my calling and purpose.

Applying both of those lists to my routine has taken a lot of time and discipline to include as an every day reality, but to talk more about that would be a blog of a different color.

I usually don't need a transition between each of those nine daily items as they are similar in focus and the mental/spiritual/emotional preparation is the same. However, when I go home I need a time of transition to adjust my focus so that I can be effective in the most important ministry in my life.

Beth and I have discussed this fact and one thing she does to help me is to give me errands when I am on my way home. Early in our marriage, she wanted me home as quickly as possible and she didn't want to burden me with one more task. For my part, I wanted to get home as quickly as possible and I didn't want one more thing I had to do every day. The reality is that this task allows me time to transition between ministries. I use that word (ministry) because it helps me to conceptualize my role in different circumstances and it holds me accountable to having a Kingdom focus whether I am a husband/father/pastor/brother/counselor/friend/missionary/etc. Going on errands may not work for everyone but if I don't have one, I have come to accept that I will have to take time (once I get home) to turn my attention to the members of my family, be fully in the moment, and prayerfully release everything else I have done outside of the home. Otherwise, I am not really present even when I'm there.

I also need a similar shift for other activities or ministries but I've found that the biggest adjustment is in preparing myself for a worship service. An incredibly challenging concept of this eternal life that began the day I confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior is that need-based ministries will pass away at the time of the final consummation but worship will continue forever. How do I transition between everything else going on in my life and the one, unique activity that is the pure expression of the first and greatest commandment? I had to realize that there is a huge difference between preparing myself to hear from the Lord in prayer, and preparing every fiber of my being to engage in corporate praise of our Creator, Redeemer, and the great I Am. I have had to recognize the fact that this should not be a case of "I should really do that" or "if I can set aside five minutes I'll try to make that happen."

The answer for our Sunday worship service came one morning as I stepped out of my office pulled by the heart of what was being sung in pre-service practice time. I looked away from the team and saw Ruth, one of our church members, walking every row of the sanctuary and covering each seat in prayer. I had seen her do that many times but this time it struck me that I didn't have a dedicated time of transition to prepare myself for worship. Quality time in any relationship requires an intentional and singular focus. I wanted to make sure I was fully in the moment when I was in worship as much as any other activity so why wouldn't I apply a time of transition? No transition has to take long but it does have to be personal and eventually I found the habit that worked for me. Now, to be transparent, I have had many hectic Sunday mornings when an urgent circumstance has impacted my ability to have my normal transition but now that I am aware of its necessity I try to adjust to make sure I don't lose it entirely. After all, I need times of transition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endurance and Encouragement?

 Romans 15:5-6 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,   that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The endurance of welcoming others in the midst of differing convictions can encourage the weak by walking together in full faith and the strong in demonstrating meekness. This harmony of relationship doubles as a song of praise, lifted in corporate worship. The Father is glorified in unlikely friendships, called and built together through the unique work of the Son, and operating in the unity of the Spirit. This is not possible apart from the body, the church, as it is built by God. As a light, we shoulder the responsibility of how we shine. In the darkest of times, every one of us is hoping to find the right way forward. It can be easy to blind someone with a flashlight but that only makes it difficult to see. It is better to walk together, heading in the s

Build

One of the most humbling moments of my submitted life occurs when I approach God in prayer. I know who God is and if I pause too long I get overwhelmed by the question of why He would bend His almighty ear to my words. I know I'm not alone in this feeling. A key aspect of this difficulty is believing that I need to get my life together before I pray. God, in His holiness, surely does not want to hear from someone who is in the middle of stumbling through their circumstances, right? Not to mention the fact that God surely would be able to hear my words better if my actions weren't getting in the way. I mean, I can't come to Him about life's specks until I remove my own plank, that's for sure... or is it? When Jesus taught us how to pray He said our first two words should be, "Our Father." It is on this teaching I must build my entire understanding of prayer. Obviously, I don't have to begin every single prayer with those two words but I do have to