Skip to main content

Leaving the Building

What have I been called to do?

Each of us wrestle with this question as we follow Christ through every season of our lives. Sure, I know I am to love because Jesus first loved me, and I know He set the example of ministry as a servant. Yet there remains the questions of "How do I love when I'm surrounded by hate?" "Where can I go to meaningfully serve others?" "How do I know if I'm doing it right?"

First of all, God is neither a taskmaster nor a scorekeeper.

God knows the plans He has for me. As I go through my everyday life, I know I have been called for such a time as this. I have been sent to minister right where I am. This perspective shifts all my questions to thoughts of "How can I best love this person in front of me?" "Where do You want me to look?" "Am I listening to the Spirit right now?"

What have we been called to do?

To proclaim our community as a church means we believe we have been called out and called together for a purpose. What we are is as eternally impactful as what we do. Whenever I consider growing in my ability to love and serve I begin with demonstrating God's love in the household of faith. How easy is it to reach out to a brother or sister with an encouraging text or email? It may be a small step but every time we leave the building we become a scattered community on a mission. This does not change our status as a Kingdom Family. We can build each other up in the days of scattering as much as we can in our times of gathering. In fact, the practice of loving and serving one another trains our spiritual muscles so that we are ready for action when it comes to our neighbors.

Exercise your freedom in Christ.

Take a moment to pray. Ask God who could use a thank you note, a message of friendship, or a word of encouragement. When He gives you a name or face, follow through. When Jesus was going, His eyes were always lifted up so He was able to see the needs of others. If I intentionally ask the Holy Spirit to shift my focus outward then my faith is strengthened and I start walking in a Kingdom way. When I pause for a moment to reflect on how Christ loved me it propels my next step to move forward as a servant of the greatest cause in the world. I lose the burdening weight of trying to find my purpose, and I gain the joy of looking to serve His purpose.

Last Sunday Pablo looked at the Spirit-led church of Acts and asked us to consider our love and service. How do I answer the call of God when the church has left the building?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Endurance and Encouragement?

 Romans 15:5-6 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,   that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The endurance of welcoming others in the midst of differing convictions can encourage the weak by walking together in full faith and the strong in demonstrating meekness. This harmony of relationship doubles as a song of praise, lifted in corporate worship. The Father is glorified in unlikely friendships, called and built together through the unique work of the Son, and operating in the unity of the Spirit. This is not possible apart from the body, the church, as it is built by God. As a light, we shoulder the responsibility of how we shine. In the darkest of times, every one of us is hoping to find the right way forward. It can be easy to blind someone with a flashlight but that only makes it difficult to see. It is better to walk together, heading in the s

Build

One of the most humbling moments of my submitted life occurs when I approach God in prayer. I know who God is and if I pause too long I get overwhelmed by the question of why He would bend His almighty ear to my words. I know I'm not alone in this feeling. A key aspect of this difficulty is believing that I need to get my life together before I pray. God, in His holiness, surely does not want to hear from someone who is in the middle of stumbling through their circumstances, right? Not to mention the fact that God surely would be able to hear my words better if my actions weren't getting in the way. I mean, I can't come to Him about life's specks until I remove my own plank, that's for sure... or is it? When Jesus taught us how to pray He said our first two words should be, "Our Father." It is on this teaching I must build my entire understanding of prayer. Obviously, I don't have to begin every single prayer with those two words but I do have to

In the Moment

I need times of transition. This is something that I have discovered about myself and my daily life. I have a difficult time jumping from one thing to the next, especially if I have spent a significant amount of time dedicated to a single focus. To contextualize what I am talking about let me say that on any given day I come up with a new list of three things to accomplish and I add these to my "daily six list." Those six are the things that I have prayerfully decided upon in order to keep myself accountable and effective in my calling and purpose. Applying both of those lists to my routine has taken a lot of time and discipline to include as an every day reality, but to talk more about that would be a blog of a different color. I usually don't need a transition between each of those nine daily items as they are similar in focus and the mental/spiritual/emotional preparation is the same. However, when I go home I need a time of transition to adjust my focus so that I